Wilson Store Fixtures
# # #
SCROLL DOWN FOR PHOTOS AND LINKS…
…to Wilson Store Fixtures
# # #
This Wilson Store Fixtures index page aggregates links
to all post and photos of retail merchandising, display, and outfitting
as well as deep Background courtesy of Wikipedia.
Wilson makes equipment for many sports, among them badminton, baseball, basketball, softball, Canadian football, American football, golf, racquetball, soccer, padel, platform tennis, squash, tennis and volleyball.
Sulzberger & Son’s founded the “Ashland Manufacturing Company” in 1913 to use animal by-products from its slaughterhouses. It started out making tennis racket strings, violin strings, and surgical sutures but soon expanded into baseball shoes and tennis racquets.
In 1915, Thomas E. Wilson, former president of meatpacker Morris & Company, was appointed President by the controlling banks and renamed the company “Thomas E. Wilson Company”. The company acquired the Hetzinger Knitting Mills to produce athletic uniforms and a caddie bag company which produced golf balls but soon expanded into footballs and basketballs.
In 1918, Wilson left to concentrate on the beef-packing business, changing the Sulzberger company to Wilson & Co. (which would ultimately become Iowa Beef Packers and then be taken over by Tyson Foods). The packing company continued to have control in the company until 1966 when it was sold to LTV.
Under new president L. B. Icely it acquired the Chicago Sporting Goods Company and struck a deal to supply the Chicago Cubs. It also hired Arch Turner, a leather designer who would design the leather football.
In 1922, it introduced the Ray Schalk catcher’s mitt which became the standard. It worked with Knute Rockne to introduce the double-lined leather football and first valve football and the first waist-line football pants with pads. In 1925, it was renamed “Wilson-Western Sporting Goods” following a distribution agreement with Western Sporting Goods.
In 1931, it renamed itself “Wilson Sporting Goods Company”. During World War II it introduced the Wilson Duke football, featuring the best leather, ends that were hand-sewn, lock-stitch seams, and triple lining, which was adopted as the official ball of the National Football League.
After the war, Wilson focused on tennis and signed Jack Kramer, who developed its line of Jack Kramer signed tennis rackets. Icley died in 1950 but the company continued to expand with many[who?] believing that Icely’s introduction of a computer to monitor inventory had been a huge help. In 1955, it acquired Ohio-Kentucky Manufacturing for making footballs. In 1964 it acquired Wonder Products Company, which made toys and custom-molded items. It transformed the custom-mold section to make protective equipment in football and baseball, such as face masks for football helmets and leg guards for baseball catchers.
In 1967, the company was acquired by Ling-Temco-Vought (LTV Corporation). Only three years after, PepsiCo became new Wilson’s owner. In those days, the company manufactured and commercialized the official balls of the National Basketball Association (NBA) and National Football League, and provided most of the uniforms of teams in Major League Baseball (MLB) and the United States Summer Olympics teams.
In 1985, Wilson was acquired by Westray Capital Corporation through subsidiary WSGC Holdings. In 1989, WSGC merged with Bogey Acquisitions Company, which is affiliated with the Finnish group Amer Sports. (SOURCE: Wikipedia)
# # #
EDITOR’S NOTE: Wilson Store Fixtures
Topmost posts may be scheduled but not yet live.
Please click further down the list if necessary.
For Wilson Store Fixtures by title see…
” NFL Football Lineup Merchandising ”
“Wilson Branded Tennis Racket Corrugated Display”
“Wilson Branded Badminton Corrugated Display”
“Wilson Super Bowl Football Balloon Branding”
“Wilson Round Football Bulk Bin”
“Wilson Square Basketball Bulk Bin”
“Wilson Football Bulk Bin”
“Wilson Basketball Bulk Bin“
For all Wilson Store Fixtures resources…
“Wilson Store Fixtures Pinterest Board“ (Pending)
“Wilson Store Fixtures Index Page”