More Than a Chronology, A Fixtures Research Resource
Though it might be informative to enjoy the FixturesCloseUp® Blog merely chronologically, as in “Will he post something interesting, wacky or too dull for words this week?” But as content builds the Blog becomes database-like in usefulness. Try these approaches to finding fixture ideas and solutions.
- INDEX PAGE MENU: Accessed from top-level menu above. The Index Page Menu provides a central hub for researching almost 600 named fixture threads, and to provide alphabetical access by thread Title. Individual Index Pages host a gallery of post images for that thread, all individual Post Titles that relate, as well as a link to that page’s Pinterest Board at the bottom.itles that relate, as well as a link to that page’s Pinterest Board at the bottom.
- SEARCHING FOR INDEX PAGES: Searching <Index: Term> will result in a list of Index Pages with the “Term” in the Title or Body. Searching <“Index: Term”> WITH QUOTES will narrow the resulting list of Index Pages to those with the “Term” in the Title only (not in the Body). Try searching both ways to see the result then use creatively and alternately to zero in on the results you need.
- PINTEREST BOARD MENU: Accessed from the top-level menu. The Pinterest Board Menu provides a central hub for researching a named thread, linking out to that Pinterest Board for a completely visual search of images. Only one photo from any individual post is represented on the Pinterest Board. So if you see an interesting photo pin, you should follow it to the Post to see if additional worthy images exist.
- SEARCH: Use as specific a term or multi-word term if possible. Enclosing your search phrase in quotes can produce a different result than non-quoted search, so try both. Searching <Index: Term> will result in a list of Index Pages with “Term” in the Title or Body. Searching <“Index: Term”> WITH QUOTES will narrow the resulting list of Index Pages with the “Term” in the Title only (not the Body). Try both.
- TAGS: Posts classified by Tag can be called up from the Tag Menu running across the top and bottom of each Individual post. Over-arching Tags include the major retail channels of Apparel, Auto, Drug, Entertainment Retail, General Merchandise, Grocery, Hardware, Hospitality Retail, Housewares, Jewelry, Office Supply, POP (Point-of-Purchase), Shoe, Specialty, Sports and Toy, as well as fixture types and terms. Take your choice of Tag paths to follow from the list shown with each Post.
- CASE STUDIES: One specialized Index Page worthy of note is that aggregating the thread of “Case Studies.” Studies listed cover specialized situations broader than a single fixture type. Examples of Case Studies include Scuba Dive Shop Outfitting“ Rago Brothers Leatherworks” “Helen & Ed’s Tree Farm Retail” and more. Though listed as a named topic under the Index Page Menu, the quickest way to access this resource is to search <“Index: Case Studies“> in quotes.
- BEST OF FIXTURES COMPENDIUMS: For completely up-to-date listings of posts following specific fixtures do use the Index Page listings for access. But fixture information that has reached a critical mass is often rebroadcast as a “Best of” post to feature the treasure trove for regular readers. See a list of these at “Best of Fixtures Compilations Index Page”
As Guiding Principles This Blog will…
- Attempt to post interesting new fixtures or unusual applications of existing fixtures.
- Post fixtures that form a basis for common sense advice on fixture selection and use.
- Focus on small scale fixtures not complete displays or the store environment.
- Be a “rave” not a “rant” though downsides might be pointed out.
- Be based upon the value of a fixture idea, not be fee or remuneration-based.
- Be cross referenced by CATEGORY, TAG, SEARCH TERMS and PINTEREST PINS.
- Include (as necessary) a “Baseline” post, that is, a normal application of a fixture
- Be updated regularly.